Owners and trainers whose horses can consistently jump a 110 cm course are encouraged to apply now for the TORONTO 2015 Pan Am Games equestrian phase of the modern pentathlon competition. This will be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to showcase the exceptional quality of your horses and trainers, and complement the world-class athletes competing next summer.
Equestrian Phase of the Modern Pentathlon
Modern pentathlon will be a feature competition at the CIBC Pan Am/Parapan Am Aquatics Centre and Field House in July 2015. For the Equestrian phase of the Toronto 2015 Modern Pentathlon competition, Pentathletes ride an unfamiliar horse (drawn by lot) over a jumper course of 350 – 450m length consisting of 12 obstacles, including a combination of two elements (a double) and another of three elements (a triple) at a maximum height of 120 cm.
Equestrian participation & Benefits and Compensation
- Up to $500 in prize money for competing in the Pentathlon Canada 2014 Fall Invitation Competition qualifying event.
- $200 participant award for competing in the Pentathlon Canada 2014 Canadian Championships qualifying event.
- $200 signing bonus if your horse is accepted to compete in the TORONTO 2015 Pan Am Games.
- Your business information on Pentathlon Canada’s website.
- Official TORONTO 2015 certificate of participation.
- Insurance coverage for your horse while on the competition venue.
- Transportation costs to and from the venue will be compensated.
- Financial compensation (to be determined) for each day your horse participates in the equestrian phase of the TORONTO 2015 modern pentathlon competition as well as the jury ride.
- Once your horse is selected, TORONTO 2015 will provide a contract.
Registered businesses (horse owners) must attend one of the qualifying events below to be considered. If you cannot attend either event, TO2015 will schedule a time to see your horse after the two qualifying events or will ask you to send a brief video of your horse — only if more horses are required.
2014 Canadian Pentathlon Championships: August 1–3, 2014
Application deadline: July 25, 2014
2014 Fall Invitation Pentathlon Competition: October 18, 2014
Application deadline: October 10, 2014
- Stabling will be provided for the duration of the event.
- Bedding will be provided (bagged pine shavings).
- Feed and grain/other feed and supplements to be provided by owner/trainer.
- Tack and grooming kit will be provided by horse owner.
- Bridles/bits/martingales (no standing martingales permitted) and saddle to be
- provided by horse owner/trainer.
- A veterinarian and farrier will be on-site during the event.
- Experienced groomers and horse handlers will be assigned to each horse for the
- duration of the event or the horse owner may participate.